Many homes with chimneys have an open top, but this can create a problem for homeowners. An open chimney allows birds, squirrels, and raccoons to enter your house. If they fall into the opening, get trapped, and die inside, you’ll have to deal with pest control and suffer other costly difficulties. Also, when it rains or snows, moisture can damage your chimney, including its stainless steel liners, dampers, and mortars, welcoming the growth of mould and mildew.
Reasons to Install a Chimney Cap
To protect your home and your chimney, install a chimney cap. Capping has several benefits, including:
- It will prevent birds and animals from entering your home or getting stuck and dying inside your chimney. Sometimes birds build their nests inside open chimneys, creating clogs. This causes smoke to back up indoors.
- Capping your chimney will keep moisture out that can cause expensive damage. Moisture might enter the flue anytime it rains or snows.
- Installing a chimney cap prevents spark and ember damage, thereby keeping everyone at home safe. Open chimneys invite the opportunity for sparks and hot embers to float to the top and onto your roof, creating a fire hazard.
- Prevent debris buildup. Leaves, branches, and other debris can build inside an open chimney, clogging it.
- A chimney cap can prevent downdrafts from entering your home, adding to your energy costs.
Pro-Pest offers chimney capping services to protect your home from pests and interior damage. If you suspect animals are trapped in your chimney, we will remove them and clean out the area before installing a cap. Call us at (416) 487-4179; we will inspect your chimney and make it safe.