Finding animal droppings in your attic can present a significant problem. Some reasons to be concerned about the presence of animal feces include:
- Health – Animals, along with their droppings, can be vectors of disease. Animal droppings can carry parasites and deadly diseases, necessitating their removal immediately. Some of these pathogens can become airborne.
- Insulation damage – Fecal matter can also damage insulation. This can adversely affect your heating and cooling of your home, leading to higher energy costs. There is also the time and expense necessary to replace ruined insulation.
- Foul odours – Animal droppings may exude unpleasant smells, especially if they have been there for some time. Removing the smell can prove difficult if the droppings have soaked into your attic surfaces. Smells can pervade the rest of the house.
- Stains – Droppings can stain surfaces and discolour walls and floors. It is also possible for feces and urine to soak into the ceiling underneath your attic, ruining the paint and walls of your home.
Animal droppings are an especially troublesome problem, but it is possible to remove the waste. It’s always best to call an expert for help, because they will:
- Wear protective clothing – Gloves and a face mask are necessary for health. The person performing the removal will not breathe in or expose their skin to bacteria and germs. A full body suit will provide more comprehensive protection.
- Remove droppings from the attic – A vacuum-like device can pick up smaller pieces. Larger pieces will need to be removed by hand. Droppings will be placed in a plastic bag, tightly tied, and discarded.
- Recommend insulation replacement – If a pest control specialist identifies soiled insulation they will recommend you replace it.
- Spray the attic with antimicrobial spray – After removing the droppings and other debris, remaining parasites and germs are killed.
- Deodorize your attic – To remove foul odours, a safe, environmentally friendly deodorant can to keep smells from permeating the rest of your home.
Professional pest control services perform wildlife dropping services to keep your home air healthy and bacteria-free. Contact Pro-Pest at (416) 487-4179. We can clear your attic of animal droppings and remove the wildlife that left them.